Tuesday, November 5, 2013

"Emerge" Charcoal Drawing

New drawing!  Yes, a drawing again, no paper-cutting on this one.  Honestly, I don't know what my future art will be.  (Who does?)  I feel that I'm not done with paper cutting, but it may take the back seat for a while.  Of course, now that I've built up a reputation as a paper-cutter, I have to go and change all that and confuse everyone.  Maybe.  Sigh.  We'll just have to wait and see!

Forget about the future, let's focus on the present.  Presently, this is my most recent piece of art.  It is called, "Emerge."  The background is the color of the paper itself, so I used both chalk and charcoal for this piece.  (If you remember, that's one of my favorite mediums!... Who am I kidding, what isn't?)

The inspiration for the concept of this piece was the model's tattoo.  (The model is yet again my good friend, Carrie.)  She has a simple leaf contour tattoo on her shoulder.  So I thought, "What if her back was covered in leaf tattoos that when touched by her hands began to come to life?"  And that's pretty much what I did.


"Emerge" chalk and charcoal, 18" x 24", by Heather Clements, 2013.

"Emerge" (detail) chalk and charcoal, 18" x 24", by Heather Clements, 2013.

"Emerge" (detail) chalk and charcoal, 18" x 24", by Heather Clements, 2013.

"Emerge" (detail) chalk and charcoal, 18" x 24", by Heather Clements, 2013.


Here is a little video of images from the process of this piece.




Inspiration Source #20:  Etereas / Animation Shortfilm - Hoop Video. As some of you may know, for the past four months I have been learning hoop dancing.  I've always loved to dance, and the hoop has opened new windows of learning, experimentation, fun, and great exercise.  The following video is the most phenomenal expression of hooping I have seen, and I have been watching PLENTY of hooping videos.  AND it features two famous, amazing hoopers, including my old college roommate, Brecken Rivara!  The video is beautiful, unique, and enthralling.  Even if you don't care about hooping, you MUST watch it.



Etereas / Animation Shortfilm from Flaminguettes on Vimeo.



Thank you oh so much for visiting my blog!  If you like my art, and would like to help support it, share this blog with your friends!


-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated!