Thursday, April 7, 2011

New Print and Commissioned Painting Progress

This is my latest screen print:



The title is "Growth."  The assignment was to do a self portrait.  I know, a foreign subject for me, eh?  It is three runs (3 colors) done with photo emulsion and pin-hole registration.  I LOVE pin-hole registration.  I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of this screen printing thing.  Starting to, anyway.  The first two colors of this print (skin color and blue) printed wonderfully.  I worked like a quick machine and every print was pretty good.  Once I got to the black, though, it was much more difficult.  The black ink was thick and sticky, so I had quite the time trying to get decent prints with it.  It didn't always pick up the detail of the branches, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

This week I am working on a commissioned painting.  It is for Elizabeth Cate, who was a reporter at News 13 but recently moved to Jacksonville to report there.  She wanted a piece of art that represented the Panama City area.

It starts with a 16"x20" piece of wood and a pencil sketch of a girl on a beach (because what is this area without the beach??)



Then some acrylic paint is added:


 And next I will add pieces of downtown.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.  When I asked Elizabeth if I could blog about the process she said, "Of course you can blog about it! What kind of journalist would I be if I didn't believe in documentation."


I've spent the past two Saturdays drawing portraits at HarborWalk in Destin.  Alas, I have no photos to share.  Maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated!