Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Secret... REVEALED

For those of you who have been checking the blog lately you know that I have been mentioning a secret commission.  It has consumed my life for the past 7 weeks but I was not allowed to tell people about it.  NOW I can tell you!  Or better yet... I will show you:





PAPER FLOWERS.  Over 300 of them.

The Visual Arts Center's summer exhibit is 'StoryMaker's Art' which consists of Florida Illustrator's artworks for children's books.  The VAC's director thought that paper flowers would compliment the show and help liven up the gallery, so I was hired to created hundreds of them.  And so I did.  I also installed all of the flowers myself.  I have many new calluses and the knowledge of how to make a new craft.  I'm not even sure if I know how to make anything else anymore. Well, here are some more photos of what is called, "The Paper Garden."



The flowers took over my studio.  There was no surface that was not covered and layered with flowers.  There were many many more that I could not fit into the photo.










Well there you have it, the secret's out.  If you live near Panama City, I suggest you check out the show at The Visual Arts Center of Northwest Florida.  The other exhibits are amazing: "StoryMaker's Art" and in the lower galleries, the artwork of Atlanta artist, Linda Mitchell.  Admission is $5 for adults and all children 12 and under get in free.

I will probably be creating more paper flowers, still.  I will also probably teach a class or two at the VAC on creating paper flowers.  I think I'm living, breathing, and sweating paper flowers now.


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Heather. Very, very cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. Yes a class would be very nice. Very Good job Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGolly I love love love your paper garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely I just found this after I created my paper flowers and I was wondering what other people had done. This is so fab, I don't think I could find paper so big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Is there somewhere I can see your paper flowers online? I'd love to see them.

      Delete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!