Thursday, September 29, 2011

Catching Butterflies - Paper Cut

I started this piece over 3 weeks ago and had to stop working on it because of my sprained wrist.  I finally got to finish it yesterday!  This piece also fits in with my ecocide series.


 It is called "Catching Butterflies" and measures 19 1/2" x 9 1/2".




I like using little girls as the subject for these dark little narratives.  The little girl is not only an ironic bad-guy (which I think adds interest and intrigue) but it also represents the twisted perspectives our culture teaches to children.  At such a young age, before we understand it, we use and abuse the natural world for any little thing we please, no matter how trivial.

I believe it is our responsibility to reverse that line of thinking and teach a new way to our children.  Teach them that the Earth is not there for us to decide what lives and what dies, but as an amazing and beautiful thing to be in awe of.

Speaking of, this bloomed in my front yard today.  This flower will only be open for one day.




Are you in awe?

1 comment:

  1. Butterflies are free to fly
    Fly away..........Bye bye

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!