Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Silkscreen Print and Remembering Gallery Above

I am thoroughly enjoying my Silkscreen Printmaking class at Gulf Coast Community College.  It's nice to be a student again!  For our first print, we cut out contact paper and stuck it directly onto the screen.  The area where there was no contact paper received the ink.  Here is my first print:



I've been teaching 7 classes a week, taking one class twice a week, working on commissions, and more.  I can't complain because I'm doing what I love and I'm just able to make ends meet.  It's the good life!

Here's one more photo of the violin after re-stringing:



The Gallery Above space is opening up again.  For those who may not know, the Gallery Above was an art gallery and venue space that I owned and operated for two years.  Those two years were extremely important, memorable, and amazing.  I worked my butt off for the love of a beautiful space that harbored art, creativity, and life.  I gave everything I had and then some to that place.  I know I couldn't have sacrificed more or worked any harder, but it had to close because the money ran out.  Now, a year and a half later, the rent has gone from $1550 to $850 and a new renter is turning the space into an art gallery and venue space.  They are calling it A&M Theater.  Honestly, I'm glad they are not calling it 'Gallery Above.'  And honestly, I have mixed feelings about it all.  I had a huge emotional attachment to the Gallery Above.  When it closed down it was like someone close to me had died.  I still think about it all the time and will even still cry.  Even though I have mixed feelings, I'm glad someone is doing something for the arts community.  I wish them the best of luck.

For now, I will remember...











1 comment:

  1. Looking at all those pictures made me remember how much fun I had there. I miss it too.
    -Jessi

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!