Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Top 10 Reasons to Buy Art


I have been thinking lately about the concept of buying art.  I think a lot of people are afraid to buy art.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say something along the lines of, "I've never bought art before!  I'm not sure what I'm doing."  They say this nervously as if they need to take a class on buying something.  Some people think they can't buy art because they aren't rich.  True, not everyone can afford a $2,000 painting, but there is so much art that is affordable.  

People seem to make excuses for most of their purchases.  "Well I NEED a new toaster because my current one does that funny clicky thing"  (When really you're buying it because that toaster is super-cute.)  Replace 'toaster' with any number of items and 'that funny clicky thing' with any number of 'imperfections.'  I think people have the mind-set that art doesn't serve a purpose, so they have no excuse to buy it.  They think it is a luxury, therefore, they shouldn't buy it.  The purpose of owning art is so much greater than owning a toaster.  I'm here today to tell you that you, too, can buy art.  Here is a list of some items I have taken from others, and some I have come up with on my own.

TOP 10 REASONS: WHY BUY ART?



1. Because you will own something that is not only beautiful, but also absolutely unique. No one else in the world has it!

2. Because hanging art in your home and surrounding yourself with images that reflect your taste, define who you are, and resonate deeply for a long time. As with a good book or a great piece of music, your relationship with a work of art can develop and change over the course of a lifetime

3. Because this is the perfect present for someone who already has everything

4. Because you will set yourself apart from the crowd: Most people don’t buy art or only buy posters of famous art instead. Buying artwork from a contemporary artist or craftsperson really sets you apart and shows you have the confidence to know what you like before it’s been sanctioned by museums or some other higher authority

5. Because it is more than time for another renaissance in the arts

6. Because it is a shame that most of the best artists are ignored in their lifetime. Some of the best artists of all times may be alive today

7. Because an original artwork is something that you can cherish and enjoy forever, and your children and grand-children after you

8. Because your dollar is your vote. Show that you support real, hand-made, original things rather than factory-built items that are detrimental to our planet and our society. Wal-Mart doesn't need your business, but an artist does

9. Because this could be an incredibly good investment

10. Because there is no better way to encourage a talented artist


I hope this list was helpful to you. I'm not just posting this to encourage sales of my art, but ANY original artwork! Valentine's Day is coming up, and what could be a better gift than something completely one-of a-kind?

If you have other suggestions of 'Why buy art?' I'd love to hear them!


Last Friday at Studio b. saw a lot of visitors.  I really enjoyed having conversations with everyone about the art.

Here are a few shots of the exhibit from last Friday:




Look in the window and you will see my installation piece!


I will be at Studio b. again this Friday and next Friday from 1-6pm.  Margaret came last Friday and wrote on my Facebook, "Beautiful, amazing and a must see....get in the car and drive to Studio B next Friday and check out the show. It is a must see!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated!